DEPUTY TOWN CLERK (FULL TIME)
Seeking qualified individual to assists the Town Clerk in all phases of work and is deputized to act for
and on behalf of the Town Clerk; does related work as required. Provides a variety of specialized
tasks for the Administration Department and other departments as directed. Provide information to
the public and employees. Under the supervision of the Town Clerk, work is evaluated through
conferences, observations, reports, and feedback.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
including, but not limited to the following:
- Serve as back up to the Town Clerk in his or her absence; including signing and sealing
official documents and attending official meetings, if required.
- As directed attend meetings of the Town Council, take and prepare minutes as needed; file
records and minutes as required by laws; index minutes and prepare for posting to the
internet; coordinate with the Town Clerk and Town Administrator for preparation of materials,
agenda, and written documents for the Council meetings; assembles and distributes agenda
packets, as may be needed.
- Assist with maintaining custody of official records including ordinances, resolutions, contracts,
leases, deeds, agreements, and minutes; ensures proper signatures are obtained; prepares
official documents; notarizes documents; prepares documents for recording and
publication; maintains roster of terms of boards and commission members and tracks term
limits in coordination with Town Clerk.
- Prepare materials and sets up rooms for Council and other Board/Commission
meetings/functions as directed.
- Attend a variety of internal and external meetings as directed.
- Answer request for information from customers or the general public who use the Town’s
services; identify procedures that addresses needs or refers customer to proper staff member;
follows-up with customers or other processes to insure proper disposition of matters.
- Prepare mail, track postage expenses by department, and route incoming mail.
- Answer telephones and refer or troubleshoot of problems related to all town operations,
sometimes under stressful conditions.
- Type letters, reports, and official minutes of all regular and special meetings of the governing
body, as may be needed.
- Issue raffle licenses, amusement device licenses, gasoline pumps and clothing bins licenses.
- Distribute and control municipal code book supplements.
- Register voters.
- Understand the system of registration of vital statistics and assist the Clerk in all Registrar
- Set up election materials.
- Tally official elections results.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Answer inquiries regarding liquor licenses.
- Prepare and mail official meeting notices.
- Certify resolutions and ordinances from official minutes.
- Under direction, refer requests for public information to appropriate departments for
response; Assist Custodian of Records with OPRA requests.
- Plan and coordinate various aspects of requests for public information.
- Maintain records and files.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned by the
Town Clerk and/or Town Administrator.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, a bachelor’s degree in public administration or
business administration a plus.
- Minimum five (5) years administrative clerical experience, preferable in government
environment a plus.
- Knowledge of New Jersey general statutes including open meetings and public records
laws, policies, procedures, and processes of Town operations and requirements for Council
actions and processes.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations governing the operation of the Town Clerk’s office.
- Knowledge of the statutory requirements, laws and practices of the Town Clerk function and
intermediate administrative support.
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; able to disseminate
information relating to operations in a professional, concise, and consistent manner.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and able to deal courteously and
tactfully with the public and other personnel. Maintain confidentiality when dealing with the
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with high-level officials, department
heads, employees and the public and to deal with the public relations problems
courteously and tactfully.
- Must exercise sound judgment, tact, and initiative in all contacts.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, accuracy, and attention to details.
- Good time management and problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to work toward and obtain designation as Certified Municipal Clerk within two
(2) years from date of hire.
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license free from any convictions for the last three
(3) years required.
- Experience in Microsoft Office applications including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, and
Access, knowledgeable in other database systems and different software tools.
- Become proficient with the Town Clerk’s electronic bookkeeping system and assist the Clerk
with maintaining all electronic banking records/registers.
- Experience in receipt, disbursement, deposit, custody or other clerical processing of funds.
Position offers NJSHB benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. To apply submit resume and
cover letter to Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Reference code: DEPUTY TOWN CLERK EOE/M/F/D/V
Posting expires: September 10, 2021