JOB TITLE: MECHANIC (FULL TIME)
||$50,000.00 - $75,000.00
||6:30 am to 3:00 pm
||370 Secaucus Rd.
||Road Repair & Maintenance
||Local #11 Blue Collar Unit
The purpose of this job is to perform duties under supervision to maintain and repair,
in accordance with diagrams, sketches, operation manuals, and manufacturer’s
specifications, automobiles, trucks, emergency and heavy-duty vehicles in the garage and in
the field. Perform the routine and specialized work involved in the installation, maintenance,
repair, and upkeep of motors (both gasoline and diesel), fuel systems, exhaust systems, cooling
systems, suspension systems, steering systems, instruments and testing equipment. Upon
assignment of supervising personnel, perform the routine and specialized work involved in the
construction, maintenance, and repair of street, sewer, sanitation, parks, and other facilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Participates in disassembly, reconditioning, and replacement of parts and assemblies on
engines, power transmissions, suspension, steering, braking systems, and related
electrical, fuel, wheel, and engine assemblies.
- Repair tasks such as removing and replacing radiators, fuel tanks, cleaning carburetors
and distributors, making idling adjustments, replacing generators, spark plugs, and
lubrication of equipment.
- Raises vehicles using hydraulic lift or hoist
- Removes engines, transmissions, and differential.
- Uses micrometers, calipers, and thickness gauges to inspect parts for wear.
- Replaces and adjusts headlights, installs, and repairs accessories, such as radios, heaters,
mirrors, and windshield wipers.
- Drives trucks, backhoe, street sweeper, and other municipal vehicles.
- Repairs streets and sidewalks with asphalt and concrete using shovel, hand roller, trowel,
level and tamp.
- Handles heavy materials on construction, maintenance, and repair projects.
- Responsible for the obtaining, storing, and safe-guarding equipment, materials, tools,
and supplies, keeping accurate and necessary records and performing any other
manually skilled and /or unskilled duties as may be needed.
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma required or equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience in the technical area of mechanic, expertise in the
repair and maintenance of automotive vehicles and equipment.
- Must have a valid drivers license, CDL issued by the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles
and have a driving record free of any major motor vehicle violations for the last three (3)
- Experience in the operation of an automatic or standard shift vehicle with or without
power steering and must indicate ability to operate certain types of vehicles such as
small or large vans and ¾ ton trucks.
- Experience in driving and operating heavy construction and snow plowing equipment is
- Knowledge of varied types of motors and equipment and their operations; of the
diagnosing of reasons for motor failure and the steps necessary to correct the condition.
- Ability to analyze mechanical problems, organize assigned work, and develop effective
work methods; to do mechanical work in the town garage as well as in the field; to
properly store and safeguard equipment, tools, materials, supplies and records.
: The physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The
employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee
must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 lbs., frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs., and
occasionally lift and/ or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential
functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside
weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in
high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/ or humid conditions, fumes, or
airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals as labeled under “Right to Know” New Jersey
State Law, extreme cold, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work
environment is usually loud.
In accordance with certain agreement between the Town of Secaucus
and various employee bargaining units, the above job opportunity is hereby posted for a
period of not less than five (5) days prior to action by the Town of Secaucus to fill the vacancy.
To apply submit application and/or resume to email@example.com or with Human Resources
Reference code: DPW EOE/M/F/D/V
Posting Expires: May 10, 2022