The Secaucus Housing Authority is seeking to hire a Full Time Maintenance Technician. Please see the job description below. If you are interested in applying, please send a letter of interest and resume to Christopher Marra at Christopher@secaucusha.org. The Authority will accept applications through Thursday, August 4, 2022.
Housing Authority of Town of Secaucus, Secaucus, NJ
Secaucus Housing Authority
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision, life insurance & pension, 401k
The Secaucus Housing Authority (SHA) is an autonomous authority established by the Town of
Secaucus in accordance with the requirements of the Local Authorities Fiscal Control Act. Our
programs are primarily funded by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
(HUD). It is our principal mission to provide decent, safe and sanitary housing to lower income
residents who meet the program’s guidelines.
The SHA manages and operates three senior housing complexes which are subsidized under the
federal Section 8 Project Based Voucher (PBV) Program. SHA also manages the Housing
Choice Voucher (HCV) Program. HCV (Also known as Section 8 program) is designed to help
income eligible families pay rent to their private landlords. Finally, SHA manages two
affordable housing developments in Secaucus owned by a not-for-profit agency.
The purpose of this position is to make sure that SHA's properties are enjoyable places to live
and work, efficient to operate, good neighbors and attractive assets to their neighborhoods. This
position is responsible for the maintenance and repair of buildings and apartment units owned
and/or managed by SHA. The work involves a combination of skills including those in the areas
of plumbing, heating, electrical, painting, carpentry and customer service.
Nature of Work:
- Prepare vacant units for occupancy in a timely manner.
- Perform maintenance and repair tasks on buildings, apartments, grounds, and equipment.
- Required to demonstrate knowledge of basic heating, carpentry, plumbing, electricity and
painting in the performance of responsibilities.
- The work involves performing a variety of duties involving physical exertion and
requiring some manipulative ability in the use of small hand or machine tools or
operation of less complex power equipment.
- Must be capable of working in high places, (e.g. on roofs) on ladders and man lifts.
- Employees use independent judgment in typical work situations.
- All work is subject to inspection, both in progress and upon completion, for adherence to
work standards and schedules.
An employee may or may not perform all of the following duties:
Experience, Education & Additional Requirements:
- Operate power saw/mower used for cutting trees and lawns. Labor, as part of a crew, in
building and grounds maintenance. Occasionally operate trucks. Water, mow, and trim
lawns, cultivate soil, plants, and shrubs, and prune and trim shrubs and trees. Knowledge
of use of such tools and equipment as common hand tools, wrenches, pipe cutters, drain
augers, shovels, rakes, lawnmowers, caulking guns, trowels, etc.
- Prepare vacant units for occupancy.
- Available 24/7 to clear snow and ice from buildings and grounds by shoveling and using
a gas powered snow blower, to ensure tenant safety.
- Perform maintenance and repair tasks to heating and boiler systems such as draining
expansion tanks, cleaning burners, checking water levels, sealing pipe joints, etc.
- Performs plumbing tasks such as changing faucet washers, stems, seats, etc., and
repairing toilets by changing ballcocks, flappers, flush valves, wax rings, pressure tanks,
- Performing electrical tasks such as resetting or replacing circuit breakers, changing plate
covers on switches and outlets, replacing light bulbs, replacing complete fixtures, outlets,
switches, and like items, as necessary.
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs to buildings, furniture, and fixtures. Assist in
moving/cleaning heavy objects such as stoves, refrigerators, etc.
- Remove and replace old plumbing, electrical, drywall installation, taping, mudding,
interior and exterior painting, roof repair, concrete work, patching drywall, removal and
installation of floor coverings, both vinyl and carpet. Hardware installation on doors, lock
repair, and other duties as assigned.
- Accompany and oversee periodic pest control inspections/unit treatments by outside
- Perform unit inspections as needed.
- Perform other related duties of the class as required
Knowledge, Ability and Skill:
- High school degree or equivalent; work experience may be substituted for education.
- 2 – 4 years experience of demonstrated maintenance repair or skilled labor employment
- Must pass a criminal background check and drug test
- Must possess a New Jersey State Driver’s License and pass annual driving background
- Must meet insurance requirements for driving Housing Authority vehicles.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and verbally
- Must be able to handle high-volume, fast-paced work with tremendous attention to detail
in the midst of multi-tasking, being organized, and meeting multiple deadlines.
Employee responsibility to THA
- Ability to knowledgeably and safely use any of a wide variety of hand tools including
mops, vacuums, shovels, rakes, pliers, screwdrivers, levels, awls and tape measures;
- Ability to use any of a wide variety of power tools and equipment including riding and
standing lawn mowers and commercial grade floor care equipment;
- Basic knowledge of landscaping techniques and methods (e.g., how to prune trees and
shrubs, how and when to use chemicals for weed abatement);
- Ability to identify simple maintenance problems, locate their cause and solve the
problems that are identified;
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including the use of appropriate personal protective
equipment, safe use of hazardous materials and chemicals, fall protection standards,
confined space standards, and all related OSHA safety standards. The ability to maintain
constant vigilance to achieve and preserve a safe work environment for self, coworkers
- Ability to compute basic arithmetic (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and to compute basic
geometry formulas (e.g., determine square footage) required;
- Able to respond in a positive and timely way to maintenance requests, including
- Able to coordinate work with outside contractors as needed;
- Available to work On-Call shifts on the On-Call program;
- Able to work a minimum of 35 hours per week and available for after- hours
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally, and in writing using correct English
usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary;
- Capable of managing competing demands and meeting productivity standards while
handling frequent change, delays, and unexpected events;
- Possess skills to organize and work independently in an environment of frequent
- Ability to engage a wide variety of people with a high level of professionalism, courtesy
and good humor, including culturally, socially and economically diverse populations,
seniors, persons with disabilities, contractors, and professional colleagues;
- Show a strong commitment to maintain confidentiality in all assignments as directed;
- Demonstrate an ardent commitment to client service.
- Present a professional image as a representative of SHA;
- Establish and maintain effective professional working relationships with co-workers,
management, partner agencies, tenants and the community;
- Fulfill all duties and responsibilities with a high level of integrity, honesty and adherence
to agency policies and rules;
- Maintain a high degree of confidentiality relative to work performed.
The Secaucus Housing Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer