Town of Secaucus
JOB TITLE: COURT ATTENDANT (PART TIME)
The purpose of this position is to inspect persons entering the court and their personal items for weapons, contraband, or otherwise items not allowed in the court by operating metal detector at the entrance to the court. After operating screening equipment, make determinations on whether the person needs to remove items to pass screening and allow entrance to the court.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
including, but not limited to, the following:
- Ensures that no one smokes, eats, brings liquids or aerosols into the court or carries any type of weapon into court areas and makes sure people maintain proper decorum in the court waiting areas;
- May bar entrance or remove unruly citizens from the court when appropriate.
- Works with court personnel and other employees to maintain a positive customer service environment in the court and provides general information and directions to the public.
- Ensures that court screening equipment is working properly and that court lobby is clean and orderly and reports any problems to the municipal court liaison; performs related work as required.
- Summon police/medical personnel to the court when appropriate; provides assistance/direction during potential/actual emergency situations including flood, fire, tornado, bomb threats, riots, disturbances.
- Monitors entrance/exit positions and conducts screening of incoming individuals, packages, and personal items using electronic metal detectors, visual detection, and other approved security methods;
- Screens visitors/court room staff in an efficient manner in order to expedite admittance to the building.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- High School diploma required
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to disseminate information relating to operations in a clear, concise and consistent manner.
Possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills in dealing courteously and tactfully with the public and other personnel. Maintain confidentiality when dealing with the public sector.
Must be resident of the State of New Jersey
Retired in "Good Standing" from a Law Enforcement Agency within New Jersey
Possess a Retired Officer Handgun Carry Permit
Pass a Criminal Justice Employment Background Check
Pass a Psychological Examination
Pass Firearm's Proficiency Qualification Course
Completes mandated training as prescribed by the Secaucus Police Department
: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
: In accordance with certain agreements between the Town of Secaucus and various employee bargaining units, the above job opportunity is hereby posted for a period of not less than five days prior to action by the Town of Secaucus to fill the vacancy. Applications and/or resumes should be filed with Human Resources Department, at email@example.com
The Town of Secaucus is an Equal Opportunity Employer