Town of Secaucus
JOB TITLE: CUSTODIAN (FULL TIME)
||Sun - Thurs, 6:30 am - 3:00 pm
||Buildings & Grounds
||Local# 11 Blue Collar Unit
The purpose of this position is to perform a variety of routine custodial tasks, which
includes the cleaning and maintaining municipal buildings, facilities, and equipment. Use cleaning
tools and other products to create a healthy working environment. Although an employee of this
class is responsible for the performance of general cleaning and maintaining the cleanliness of the
facilities, they are required to perform limited building maintenance tasks and any other manual
skilled or unskilled duties as may be assigned. Routine assignments are checked by spot inspections
or a result of complaints.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, and polishes floors (where applicable).
- Sweeps, mops, and dusts stairwells.
- Washes walls, windows, and woodwork.
- Vacuums, dusts general spaces and cabinets in offices.
- Dusts, polishes, arranges or moves furniture and equipment.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Waters plants (if applicable).
- Maintains the cleanliness of all bathrooms; replenishes necessary supplies and unclog toilets.
- Removes and disposes trash following the appropriate policies/procedures.
- Maintains, replenishes cleaning supplies and equipment as needed.
- Maintains sidewalks and grounds surrounding Town buildings including snow removal.
- Assist in setting up events, including but not limited to chairs, tables, tents etc.
- Assist in loading and unloading of trailers as needed, stocking of warehouse, moving of goods
- Able to react to change productivity and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
S: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Diploma required or equivalent.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of aspects of the job.
- Knowledge of the standard tools, materials, methods, and practices and of the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved in performing general custodial work.
- Demonstrated basic building maintenance skills and cleaning practices, supplies, and equipment.
: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to l O pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and depth perception. The duties require excellent physical dexterity to be able to fit into confined spaces and trenches, as may be required.
: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
: In accordance with certain agreements between the Town of Secaucus and various employee bargaining units, the above job promotional opportunity is hereby posted for a period of not less than five days prior to action by the Town of Secaucus to fill the vacancy. Applications and/or resumes should be filed with Human Resources Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Town of Secaucus is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Reference code: CUSTODIAN
Posting Expires: October 20, 2022