JOB TITLE: TELECOMMUNICATOR – DISPATCHER (PART TIME)
||$25.00 / Hour
The purpose of this position is the daily operations associated with the Police
Department’s dispatch section. Responsible for responding to calls for emergency and nonemergency assistance in dispatching appropriate police, fire and other related services.
Perform duties in a safe, efficient manner and in compliance with all applicable rules and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
including but not limited to the following. Other duties may be
- Communications liaison for Secaucus Police Department dispatch section. Receives
and transmits police, fire and other emergency alarms.
- Receives telephone requests for police, fire, emergency medical service, or other
emergency assistance and dispatches the requests to the proper personnel for
- Differentiate between routine, priority/non-priority and emergency messages and
initiates or follow though as required.
- Operate a variety of telecommunications equipment, including data input assistance
of a Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system.
- Responsible for documenting and updating information. Performs other clerical duties
- Promotes safety awareness and follows safety procedures in efforts reduce or
- Able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative
of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma required or equivalent, some college a plus.
- Minimum one (1) year experience either in directly related environment or in a highvolume telephone customer service environment.
- Must take and pass a required telecommunicator examination.
- Possess basic or intermediate Telecommunicator Certificate or 9-1-1 Certification or
EMT Dispatcher Certification preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills,
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills in dealing with the public over the telephone, in
person, often in stressful or emergency situations.
- Must possess the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as procedure manuals
and operating instructions. Ability to write routine reports.
- Knowledge in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel and operation of a variety
of communications equipment and computer aided dispatch (CAD) system
telecommunications, data and voice information systems.
- Ability to perform duties with minimal or no supervision.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of all information received or discerned during
performance of job functions.
: The physical demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands
and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. While performing the
duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee must
frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually
In accordance with certain agreements between the Town of
Secaucus and various employee bargaining units, the above job opportunity is
hereby posted for a period of not less than five days prior to action by the Town of
Secaucus to fill the vacancy. Applications and / or resumes should be sent to email@example.com
, Human Resources Department.
Reference code: DISPATCH EOE/MF/D/V/SO
Posting Expires: November 23, 2022